- Excess stormwater can cause flooding during rain events.
- The pervious concrete captures at least 15,000 cubic feet (almost 6 Olympic size swimming pools) of stormwater within this project area during each rain event. More water is captured during long low-intensity rainfalls rather than during short high intensity events. Stormwater captured by the pervious concrete helps to reduce flooding issues.
- Beneath the pervious concrete there is a 3-foot deep by 3-foot wide infiltration trench for effective capture of stormwater.
- Captured stormwater is filtered and infiltrated for groundwater recharge.
The El Rio Retrofit for Groundwater Recharge
project includes approximately one mile
of precast pervious concrete panels and
subsurface infiltration trenches.
Pervious concrete contains small spaces that allow water to pass through it. Capture and infiltration of stormwater instead of street flooding and discharge of untreated runoff into storm drain system, is the best management practice for reduction of stormwater pollution.
Infiltration trenches are long narrow trenches filled with coarse gravel for effective capture and infiltration of stormwater. During rain events, stormwater fills up the trenches quickly, filters through the gravel and seeps into the soils below. Plastic liner does not allow water under the existing street and sidewalk.
Benefits of this Project
This project reduces stormwater pollution in Santa Clara River watershed, improves its beneficial uses such as providing recreational opportunity and natural habitat for endangered species, enhances groundwater recharge to maintain local water supply, and reduces localized flooding.
How You Can Help
- Plant drought-tolerant plants in your garden to reduce your water needs.
- Always pick up after your pets.
- Install a rain barrel, a cistern or apply other best management practices for capture of stormwater on your property.
- Participate in local beach clean ups or community beautification events.
- Eliminate water waste.
- Keep trash and litter inside closed containers at all times.
- Only use pest and weed control chemicals if needed and according to manufacturer instructions.